HEALTHY MOUTH TIPS
Dentures or Dental Implants?
The age long question has been – dentures or dental implants? If you are uncomfortable with the thought of wearing dentures the rest of your life, you are not alone, and you DO have other options available to you. Today, there are more and more patients choosing to have dental implants over dentures and the choice is personal for them. Dental implants do provide benefits such as better overall dental health, improved comfort, and better chewing. As you can see, dental implants have more benefits than just a nicer aesthetic appearance to them. Below, Dr. Steve Kim will compare and contrast both dental implants and dentures against one another, so you can make the right choice!
Dental Implants VS Dentures
1. Dental implants preserve remaining bone in the jaw and help to keep your facial structure whereas dentures can allow for loss of bone in the jaw and lead to a change in your facial structure.
2. Dental implants function and feel like natural teeth whereas dentures may feel unnatural or fake in your mouth.
3. Dental implants are secured to the jaw while remaining stable and offer a comfortable fit whereas dentures can slip around in your mouth and cause both irritation and discomfort.
4. Dental implants do not require you to use any adhesives or creams whereas dentures do require you to use these products.
5. Dental implants can restore your ability to chew with normalcy whereas dentures restrict what you can and cannot eat and you may need to avoid certain foods.
6. Dental implants are a permanent and life-long solution whereas dentures will need to be replaced, re-aligned, or corrected throughout the years.
7. Dental implants are easy to care for and clean whereas dentures require special cleaning techniques and they need to be removed each night to clean them.
8. Dental implants are an investment that will last a lifetime whereas dentures are less expensive but have to be replaced and are not as effective.
Cost Comparison of Dentures VS Dental Implants
As you can see above, there are many differences between dental implants and dentures. They each fit differently and will provide different results for each patient. When it comes down to cost, dentures are a more affordable option and cost significantly less than dental implants. However, you will also need to think about the cost of all the additives that come along with dentures as well. For example, dentures require replacement eventually, fixatives, and cleaning solutions to maintain them, so the cost will be more than what you initially think.
Removable dentures do need to be replaced every 7 to 15 years whereas dental implants are designed to last for at least 25 years. This means you will need anywhere from two to four sets of dentures in the lifespan of dental implants.
If you are a patient who wants a lifelong solution to missing teeth, Dr. Steve Kim recommends dental implants. They are worth the investment when you sit down and compare dentures to dental implants side by side. Dentures are unable to match the look and comfort that you receive from dental implants.
If you are worried about the cost of dental implants, do not hesitate to talk to us as we do offer financing plans here in our Torrance, CA office.
Stop Bone Loss in Your Jaw
One of the most prominent reasons why Dr. Steve Kim recommends dental implants is because it prevents bone loss in your jaw. Dentures are unable to preserve the bone and with that comes loss of the bone and a change in your facial structure, which you may ultimately be unhappy with.
Dental implants are able to stimulate the jaw bone and allow it to keep its density and preserve your current facial structure. Without dental implants in place, the jaw will shrink.
Contact Our Torrance Office to Discuss Your Options Further
Performance and comfort are paramount when it comes to your teeth and dental implants can make up for what has been lacking due to missing teeth. Unfortunately, dentures are unable to provide you with that natural look and feel and is why many patients do choose implants.
Removable dentures are able to slip around in your mouth and cause irritation when you talk, and chew and the slippage also causes embarrassment for many patients. Dr. Steve Kim wants to remind you that dentures also need to be fixated to the gums using an adhesive and you must clean them daily to keep them in good shape. Many patients feel like this is a chore.
Dental implants will provide you with a better overall feel and will allow you to have more freedom than you thought possible. If you would like to learn more about dentures vs. dental implants or you would like to schedule a free consultation with us, do not hesitate to call our Torrance office today!