Call Now(310) 539-5300 [email protected] Registration

Dental Implant Failures are Tied to Certain Health Factors

Dental implants have provided patients with a wonderful tooth replacement option and they were first introduced into the industry about 30 years ago. They have been around for a while and continue to improve year after year. As of today, they have about a 95 percent success rate, so this means that there is a small chance that they can fail – 5 percent chance.

Years of research and study have shown that dental implants that fail often do so because of health and lifestyle factors that affect them. While the teeth are not “real,” they can be damaged and this can lead to problems with them in the future. It is important to address all possible issues with dental implants with Dr. Kim in our Torrance office before you choose them.

You Should Be in Good Health

Your health matters. In fact, if you are sick or have an infection, it can spread and leave you with dental implant failure. It is vital that your health and lifestyle choices are on point to prevent any problems. Certain lifestyle choices such as smoking can lead to implant failure. Other health conditions that can cause implant failure include compromised immune systems, osteoporosis, cancer, and more.

Oral and Bone Health Concerns

Implants need bone to be placed in your mouth and if you do not have enough bone, they will fail if placed in your mouth. Often, patients will experience bone loss due to underlying issues such as gum disease, so it is important to know if you are not in good oral health.

Dr. Kim will examine your mouth and take x-rays to determine if you have enough bone. If not, you may be recommended for a sinus lift or bone graft, should you choose to still elect dental implants.

If you suffer from bruxism, you may not be able to receive dental implants until the condition is handled, as too much pressure on the implants can cause them to fail.

Maintenance is Vital

Caring for your dental implants is another important step in the process. If you do not care for your implants, they will fail. In fact, you can develop a condition known as peri-implantitis, which is gum disease that affects the healthy tissues that appear around the implant posts.

You should brush and floss your implants twice per day and always follow up with Dr. Kim twice a year for cleanings and exams.

Contact Us for a FREE Consultation

At Steve S. Kim, DDS, we offer FREE dental implant consultations, so that we can determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure. Dr. Kim has many years of experience in dental implants and has placed thousands of them. Our Torrance office is prepared to provide you with the best oral care and help you achieve a smile that you are proud of. Dr. Kim will work closely with you to make sure that your dental implants do not fail once they are in place.

by | May 22, 2017 | Uncategorized |


floating bar image