HEALTHY MOUTH TIPS
Boost Your Confidence with a Great Smile
Projecting a positive self image begins with a positive mindset and an easy, natural smile. But what if you feel embarrassed about your smile? Perhaps you have crooked teeth or gaps between your teeth, or you suffer from tooth decay that causes bad breath. A good oral hygiene routine with regular professional dental cleanings can vastly improve your self image and help you feel more confident in public.
First Impressions Count
Your smile is like a calling card, a person’s first impression of you. If you feel shy about showing your teeth for any reason, it may appear that you are reluctant to smile, or not feeling confident or comfortable in the situation.
When you know you’re projecting a confident image by flashing a brilliant, healthy smile, your energy is naturally open and people gravitate toward you. You feel more empowered to express yourself publicly and professionally. Knowing that your smile looks attractive and healthy is a great image booster and actually broadens your social and professional opportunities thanks to your renewed self image.
Fresh Breath Ensures Great Conversation
Have you ever pulled back while talking to someone because you were turned off by their breath? Bad breath is a surefire conversation-stopper and can affect your ability to make a good first impression in situations such as job interviews, social gatherings, and other occasions when you have to come face to face with people.
Maintaining fresh breath is not difficult, assuming your mouth is healthy. Regular checkups and routine professional dental cleaning at least twice yearly, along with a good oral hygiene regimen at home, can keep your mouth healthy and your breath fresh. This is an important investment in yourself that will help you build self confidence.
Particularly if you smoke or drink beverages such as coffee, tea, or wine, you may have a higher tendency to develop dry mouth, harmful oral bacteria, and an acidic condition in the mouth that can lead to the development of tooth decay and bad breath. If this describes you, you’d do best to see your dental hygienist for regular dental cleaning at least three times yearly to protect against the potential development of tooth decay and gum disease.
Tooth Whitening for a More Radiant Smile
If you have stains on your teeth, or general discoloration caused by years of smoking, a daily coffee or tea habit, or drinking a lot of wine, you may wish to have a professional whitening treatment to restore radiance and brightness to your smile.
Other Dental Treatments to Enhance Your Smile
See a dentist if you have issues such as chipped or crooked teeth, misssing teeth, or gaps between your teeth. You may require orthodontic treatment, a partial denture, or some other treatment to further enhance the appearance and function of your teeth, improving the beauty of your smile.
A Great Smile Begins with Good Oral Health
By far the most important thing you can do to maintain a beautiful smile is to commit to a healthy oral hygiene regimen as follows:
- Avoid habits such as smoking and eating sugary snacks, and cut back your consumption of soft drinks, coffee, tea, wine, and alcoholic beverages to maintain a healthy oral environment and discourage the development of harmful bacteria as well as stains and discoloration on the teeth.
- Develop a daily habit of brushing thoroughly for at least two minutes, two times daily, preferably after meals, using a soft bristle brush. Replace your toothbrush every 3 months to protect against accumulation of bacteria.
- Use dental floss at least once daily to remove any food particles that may become lodged in the crevices between your teeth. This protects against the development of harmful bacteria and plaque that can cause tooth decay and bad breath.
- Use a good anti-bacterial mouthwash to help protect against the accumulation of harmful bacteria that cause bad breath. While you’re at it, try a mouthwash that will also protect your teeth against plaque buildup, to keep your mouth cleaner for longer after each professional dental cleaning session.
- Visit your dentist regularly for routine checkups and get your teeth cleaned professionally at least twice a year, or more often if you happen to consume a lot of coffee or wine, or if you’re still working on kicking the smoking habit.
If you’re looking for a great family dentist to help you maintain a radiant healthy smile and you live near Torrance, Gardena, Manhattan Beach, or surrounding areas in California, Dr. Steve Kim at Steve S. Kim, DDS offers comprehensive family dentistry, including tooth whitening and other smile enhancing treatments for residents of the Manhattan Beach area.